I play in three main bands:
- Natural Causes – A band from Torquay, Huddersfield, Norwich and Lancaster, playing live with silent films, and working with poets such as Ian McMillan, Peter Oswald and Jackie Kay.
- Rude 2.0 – FX-laden quartet with trombonist Annie Whitehead, bassist Jennifer Maidman and drummer Liam Genockey, that has played sold out gigs at Marsden Jazz Festival, Cafe Oto, and the Vortex Jazz Club
- Moonrise Trio – My own trio, originally formed to play music from my ‘This Love’ album.
Alongside the Moonrise Trio, I have two other trios of my own:
- hymn – Norwich-based trio playing spacious improvisations informed by simple composed material. Chris Dowding (trumpet & electronics), George McKay (double bass), David Ross (electronics and percussion).
- The Hard Edges of Metal – a new loud all-brass trio coming to Norfolk…
This is part of my trios project, exploring different trios, which also include:
- Tangential – Standards trio with George McKay (double bass) and Jake Kay (drums), playing jazz standards and some originals…
- of our own invention – new
- In My Experience – solo setup, sometimes as a trio and duo. More soon…
Other projects include:
- ALATI – A trio of myself (trumpet), Brigitte Beraha (vocals) and Dave O’ Brien (piano) exploring poems, songs and improvisation…
- some things – ‘Arresting brass duo’ from Norwich playing original material, obscure standards and interpretations of English folk songs.
- The Brass Monkeys – ‘Improvising brass band’ from Norwich and London led by tuba player Ben Higham. The Brass Monkeys have played several sold out gigs at Pizza Express, London. Expect free-flowing brass, country dances, and the unexpected…
- holding hands – An exciting new octet, co-led by myself and Norwich-based saxophonist Rob Milne, including some of the most exciting improvisers from Norwich and London.
- Sylvia & I – Duo with Sylvia Hallett, exploring dreamy soundscapes and overlapping loops…
- Sudden Amusements – Norwich-based processed trumpet and field recordings duo with Oliver Payne…
I have also been working with:
- Joey Herzfeld (songwriter recently moved to Norwich from London)
- Diego Brown and the Good Fairy (multi-instrumental brother/sister duo from London)
- surfaces ensemble – more soon…
I am also involved with programming several nights:
- Plink Plonk – An improvised music night programmed by NNSAC (Norwich and Norfolk Sonic Arts Collective), a collective I am involved with – more information, here: www.nnsac.com
- St. Paul’s Sessions – a semi-annual concert series at St. Paul’s Church in Marylebone, my sister Clare Dowding’s church. This has included sets by poet John Hegley, saxophonist Julian Arguelles, and trombonist Annie Whitehead.
- Camouflage – a new contemporary jazz night in Norwich, starting in 2018.
Workshop projects include:
- Open Worlds / Closed Circuits