I play in three main bands:
- Natural Causes – A band from Torquay, Huddersfield, Norwich and Lancaster, playing live with silent films, and working with poets such as Ian McMillan, Peter Oswald and Jackie Kay.
- Rude 2.0 – FX-laden quartet with trombonist Annie Whitehead, bassist Jennifer Maidman and drummer Liam Genockey, that has played sold out gigs at Marsden Jazz Festival, Cafe Oto, and the Vortex Jazz Club
- Moonrise Trio – My own trio, originally formed to play music from my ‘This Love’ album.
Alongside the Moonrise Trio, I have two other trios of my own:
- hymn – Norwich-based trio playing spacious improvisations informed by simple composed material. Chris Dowding (trumpet & electronics), George McKay (double bass), David Ross (electronics and percussion).
- The Hard Edges of Metal – a new loud all-brass trio coming to Norfolk…
This is part of my trios project, exploring different trios, which also include:
- the dynamic and stuff… – A new Norwich-based trio, playing new versions of fairly well-known standards, and more simple originals, featuring double-bassist George McKay, drummer and tabla player Jesse Barrett, and myself on trumpet and electronics.
Other projects include:
- ALATI – A flexible ensemble exploring poems, songs and improvisation…
- some things – ‘Arresting brass duo’ from Norwich playing original material, obscure standards and interpretations of English folk songs.
- The Brass Monkeys – Improvising brass band from Norwich also playing original material and obscure standards. Has performed at St. Paul’s Sessions (London), the Magdalen Street Celebration, and Existential Antics (both in Norwich). Expect free-flowing brass, country dances, and the unexpected…
- holding hands – something new…
- Maverick – An exciting new band hopefully coming to Norfolk in 2019… More soon..!
I have also been working with:
- Joey Herzfeld (songwriter recently moved to Norwich from London)
- Diego Brown and the Good Fairy (multi-instrumental brother/sister duo from London)